Mentoring Circles:Company Secretary _28 September 2015
28 September 2015
Registration from 15h30 - 16h00 Session Starts promptly at 16:00 - 19:00
144 Katherine Street, Grayston Ridge Ofiice Park, Block B, First Floor
Johannesburg, Gauteng 2196
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Secretaries play an integral role in governance and the legal compliance of
companies. Recently, the role of the Company Secretary has been elevated to one
of strategic importance.
faced by those in the Company Secretary role include:
- Other’s perceptions of the role, as primarily a ‘minute-taker’.
- Issues of confidentiality and potential conflicts of
interest, arising from the unique perspective that CompanySecretaries gain
through participation on Board committees.
- The role can be dominated by operational issues, or
relegated to management of perceived legal liability.
- Company Secretaries are at times expected to carry out
duties including catering and personal assistant tasks.
King Code of Governance
principles (King III)
- Principle 1.1: the board should provide effective leadership
based on an ethical foundation.
Key Focus Areas
individual problems to be mentored will be raised during the Circle. The
following are intended to serve as thought-starters only:
- How can Company Secretaries effectively communicate the potential value-add of their role to the Board?
- What can Company Secretaries do to invest in their own
- How can Company Secretaries effectively delineate
their role appropriately, while not alienating other Board members, particularly
the Chairman and/or Chief Executive?
- What is the optimal level of resourcing for the
Company Secretary role?
Non Member R 980
IoDSA Member R 866
IoDSA Fellow R 588