Increasing Board Effectiveness & Adding Value
18 August 2016_CPT
Registration starts at 08h30 and course starts promptly at 09h00
Belmont Square Conference Centre
22 Belmont Road
Cape Town, Western Cape 7700
+27 11 035 3000
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
This one day programme is aimed at equipping aspiring and new directors with the knowledge of how effective boards should operate. The focus will be on the role that board should play and how to effectively achieve results that have been set.
King Code of Governance principles (King III)
- Principle 2.6:The board should ensure that the company has an effective and independent audit committee.
- Principle 2.19: Directors should be appointed through a formal process.
- Principle 2.20: The induction of and ongoing training and development of directors should be conducted through formal process.
- Principle 2.21: The board should be assisted by a competent, suitably qualified and experienced company secretary.
- Principle 2.22: The evaluation of the board, its committees and the individual directors should be performed every year.
- Principle 2.23:The board should delegate certain functions to well-structured committees but without abdicating its own responsibilities.
Key Focus Areas
An effective board
- Board governance frameworks-charters, codes, policies
- What are the questions board should be asking themselves?
The role of the board of directors
- The board as agent
- Managing vs directing
- Governance duties – King III principles
Director selection and removal
- The process for director selection & The importance of succession planning
- Balance on the board
- Directors remuneration
- Coordinating the roles and responsibilities of board committees
- The requirements, benefits and process for doing board appraisals
- Acton items from results of board appraisals
One Full day: 09h00 - 16h00
IoDSA Fellows: R 3 148
IoDSA Members: R 4 185
Non Members: R 5 231
Includes:VAT, Course Material, Refreshments & Lunch