The challenges facing South African Directors and Officers evolve and change rapidly.
17 May 2016
Registration from 15h30 - 16h00 Session Starts promptly at 16:00 - 19:00
144 Katherine Street, Grayston Ridge Ofiice Park, Block B, First Floor
Johannesburg, Gauteng 2196
011 035 3000
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
The Mentoring circles is a group mentoring initiative facilitated by the
IoDSA, for aspiring and experienced directors. The aim of these 3 hour sessions
are to offer directors (the mentees) feedback and guidance from seasoned
directors (the mentors), on the personal and social competencies outlined in
the Director Competency Framework.
A significant tranche of popular, business and academic
literature increasingly points to the need for ‘courageous leadership’.
Leadership is crucial in times of change, and it is in such times that
prevailing paradigms and approaches may need to be challenged.
Based on the discussions at Directors’ Circles, courage
may be required to speak up when:
- Unethical behaviour is evident in the
Board, collectively or within individuals.
- The existing strategy or vision becomes
obsolete, for a variety of reasons.
- Poor governance is being practiced.
- Personal agendas are affecting company
performance or risking company reputation.
- Stakeholder demands and shareholder
demands are apparently in conflict.
- A Director’s personal values are
conflicted by the company values or behaviour.
Code of Governance principles (King III)
Principle 1.1: the board should provide
effective leadership based on an ethical foundation.
Key Focus Areas
actual individual problems to be mentored will be raised during the Circle. The
following are intended to serve as thought-starters only:
- What helps Directors to be courageous?
- What impedes the expression of courage
when it is needed?
- What is put at risk – personally and
organisationally - when Directors are courageous?
- How do Directors get support in being
- How do Directors determine when to speak
up or not?
- What are the qualities of a courageous
- Should courageous leadership be rewarded
|Non Member ||R 1 049|
|IoDSA Member||R 839|
|IoDSA Fellow||R 671|