Mentoring circle:Topic 1:Courage_07 October 2015
07 October 2015
Registration from 15h30 - 16h00 Session Starts promptly at 16:00 - 19:00
144 Katherine Street, Grayston Ridge Ofiice Park, Block B, First Floor
Johannesburg, Gauteng 2196
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Directors’ Circle: Topic 1 -
A significant tranche of popular, business and academic
literature increasingly points to the need for ‘courageous leadership’.
Leadership is crucial in times of change, and it is in such times that prevailing
paradigms and approaches may need to be challenged.
Based on the discussions at Directors’ Circles, courage may
be required to speak up when:
- Unethical behaviour is evident in the Board,
collectively or within individuals.
- The existing strategy or vision becomes
obsolete, for a variety of reasons.
- Poor governance is being practiced.
- Personal agendas are affecting company
performance or risking company reputation.
- Stakeholder demands and shareholder demands are
apparently in conflict.
- A Director’s personal values are conflicted by
the company values or behaviour.
Code of Governance principles (King III)
- Principle 1.1: the board should provide
effective leadership based on an ethical foundation.
Key Focus Areas
actual individual problems to be mentored will be raised during the Circle. The
following are intended to serve as thought-starters only:
- What helps Directors to be courageous?
- What impedes the expression of courage when it
- What is put at risk – personally and
organisationally - when Directors are courageous?
- How do Directors get support in being
- How do Directors determine when to speak up or
- What are the qualities of a courageous
- Should courageous leadership be rewarded by