Board's Role in Risk & Strategy
24 June 2015
Registration start at 08h30 and course starts promptly at 09h00
Belmont Square Conference Centre
22 Belmont Raod
Cape Town, Western Cape 7700
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Being a Director: Part 2
The board's role in risk and strategy
This one day programme is aimed at equipping aspiring and new directors with insight into the board’s role in risk and strategy. Discussion focuses on the risk that board’s need to understand and manage. It also looks at different business strategy models that can be used in strategic development and alignment of performance to strategies and risks within that business.
The King Code of Governance Principles for South Africa (King III)
- Principle 2.1: The board should act as the focal point for and the custodian of corporate governance
- Principle 2.3: The board should provide effective leadership based on an ethical foundation
- Principle 2.4: The board should ensure that the company is seen to be a responsible corporate citizen
- Principle 2.9: The board should ensure that the company complies with applicable laws and considers adherence to non-binding rules, codes and standards
- Principle 2.14: The board and its directors should act in the best interests of the company
- Principle 2.16: The board should elect a chairman of the board who is an independent non-executive director. The CEO of the company should not also fulfil the role of chairman of the board.
- Principle 2.17: The board should appoint the chief executive officer and establish a framework for the delegation of authority
- Principle 2.18: The board should comprise a balance of power, with a majority of non-executive directors. The majority of non-executive directors should be independent
Key focus areas
The board’s role in risk
- What is risk and what is the board’s role?
- Understanding the difference between risk governance and risk management
- Risk management process including risk assessment, response, monitoring, assurance and reporting
The board’s role in strategy
- Is the business model still relevant and in line with the business strategy?
- What is strategy and what is the board’s role?
- Strategic process
- Building blocks of strategy
- Competitive advantage
- Key drivers to strategy
- Trends to consider (environmental scan)
- Linking strategy to performance
1 Full day - 09h00 - 16h30